Sunday, October 20, 2013

Interesting Experiment

So as I mentioned in my last post, hubby got me a tumbler for one of my anniversary gifts.

I was hoping it would speed up the process of sanding down and cleaning up the gunk leftover from Etching. I work in batches so to have to sand piece after piece to clean up and then use alcohol to remove ink...it's a bear to do and takes hours.

After talking to some jewelry peeps, I decided against a tumbler because it sounded like it wouldn't work and another tool was suggested. An attachment piece for my dremel...which I got, but I would still have to sand each piece individually. Faster since it's using a dremel, but not like walking away and letting a machine do most of the work.

I had removed the tumbler from my wish list, but not fast enough. Hubby had already gotten it, so I said what the heck. It's a handy tool to have for other parts of jewelry making, so I gave it a go.
I tossed etched pieces looking like this in to see how it would do.

You can see from the pic...LOADS of sanding and cleaning required. But you know what?! I was pleasantly surprised!
This is how the pieces came out. Not too shabby! Nice and clean.


The only troublesome part is a few scratches on the backs, but not too bad. I let the machine do the work and within the hour they were all clean. This would've taken me all day to do by hand!

I'm certainly keeping my new fancy schmancy tumbler...my new best friend, haha. Quite happy with the results. :-)
What are you working on today?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!

*** Be sure to check back as I do reply to comments. :-) ***

Pin It

You May Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails